Community gardens have long been a vital part of the Champaign-Urbana community. They do the important work of nourishing our community by feeding people, building relationships, and identifying areas of community need. We honor, support, and uplift the work of both existing and new community gardens.
Solidarity Gardens Affiliates are gardens that commit to growing food not only for themselves but also for their neighbors and community. This may mean different things depending on the garden: it may donate all its excess produce through the Solidarity Gardens network, run a community food distribution directly out of the garden, work with a kitchen to turn its excess produce into hot meals that are then distributed to the community, or do something else. We are #NeighborsFeedingNeighbors and are here to help you connect!
Solidarity Gardens Affiliates pledge to:
- Commit to sharing food with neighbors in need.
- Display a Solidarity Gardens sign in their garden.
- Share information about Solidarity Gardens events and programming with their gardeners and constituents.
- Link to Solidarity Gardens CU on their website (if they have one).
- Participate in a yearly site visit with a member of the Solidarity Garden Steering Group (currently Sola Gratia Farm, Cunningham Township, Channing Murray Foundation, Urbana Free Library, Urbana Park District).
Solidarity Gardens Affiliates are able to:
- Request grant funding (up to $500 per year) from Solidarity Gardens CU at any time during the year.
- Request support from the Solidarity Gardens volunteer pool.
- Access the tool lending library, seed starts, and education support.
- Request donated produce from other gardens for distribution at their events.
- Have events and workdays boosted through Solidarity Gardens social media and informational channels.
- Shape future goals and projects of the Solidarity Gardens network.
How does my garden become an affiliate garden?
Click the button below to fill out the Solidarity Gardens Affiliate Application below and sign the Pledge! A representative from the Solidarity Gardens CU team will contact you within 5 business days to inform you of your acceptance or to request more information. Direct any questions to [email protected].
If you are not able to fill out the online form, you may request a paper copy by contacting [email protected] or by calling (217) 418-0863.